1⁄35G.I. Combat’s THE HAUNTED TANK
After sanding off the putty, I finished off the upper deck sides with the “welded look” technique (fig.14) using liquid glue-dissolved sprue then roughing it up with a knife tip to simulate a steel weld bead. I scratch built the exclusive Jigsaw Tank “H” handle bars on the rear engine cap (fig.15) using paper clips cut and bent to size and glued together with superglue, then lightly coated them with putty heavily dissolved in liquid glue. This putty coating will also help the paint adhere on the metal paperclips. The top view of the Jigsaw illustration depicts it having a turret top deck similar to a late type M4 Sherman, with the commander’s vision cupola and a loader’s hatch on the left side. Luckily I had an unbuilt Tamiya Sherman 105 in my stash, but instead of also murdering that kit for this crazy project, I opted for making a copy or duplicate of the parts I need via the magic of cheap latex molding! A couple of years ago, on kitmaker.net I posted an article on the age-old technique of latex casting, which caught the irk of some members, such as this guy calling himself T34-85, (ironic name isn’t it) who blasted my article saying latex is yucky and cheap so why bother – well Mr.T34-85 if you’re reading this, you’re right, latex casting is dirt cheap, like $5.99 a jar of latex cheap, and stinky too – but it still worked for me in this project, so read on - LOL! So using the technique from my article, and quoting Mr.T34-85’s own words, I “wasted an inordinate amount of my time brushing yukky and stinky latex on every nook and cranny” of the top part of my Sherman 105’s turret; I also needed the driver’s and radio operator’s hatches to be in accordance with the illustration too, so I applied latex to them as well. I used stick glue (ugh!) - yes as used on those cheap glue guns - for casting material by simply melting a few sticks in a metal pan until it was liquid then simply pouring it into the latex mold and voila! One turret deck (fig.16) made out of stick glue, all ready for trimming and fitting. It was impossible to put actual Panther engine deck vents on the rear hull simply because they’re too big and won’t fit (fig.17) so I had to scratch build the round vents using a small bogie wheel from some 1/48 kit then covered it with a screen; the rectangular vents are from our T-34 kit. When I installed the replicated driver and radio operator hatches on the front top deck, I realized my big mistake of cutting the hull top and bottom too short! Oh well no turning back now. LOL!
Copyright ©2020 by Rei Villamil. Images and/or videos also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. The views and opinions expressed herein are solely the views and opinions of the authors and/or contributors to this Web site and do not necessarily represent the views and/or opinions of Armorama, KitMaker Network, or Silver Star Enterrpises. All rights reserved. Originally published on: 2012-08-03 00:00:00. Unique Reads: 22698