1⁄35Tamiya's 1/35 Merkava MKI
Tamiya's 1/35 Merkava MK I
Article by: Paulo Roberto de Castro
Edited by: Jim Starkweather
Since 1948, one of the major problems of the Israeli army was related to their AFVs. Many countries put in place restrictions on selling Israel weapons, especially tanks. Israel had fought many wars with obsolete tanks, but upgraded them to a higher level, using the ingenuity of Israeli armor technicians. By the end of the Six Days War, General Tal, felt that it was time to build a tank focused on the particular needs of the Israeli Defense Force (IDF). So, after 9 years of development, the Merkava was born. The tank was designed for a crew of four and a 105mm M64L71A main gun. Also with 2 light machine guns (MAG 7.62mm) for close combat. The motor is a Teledyne Continental AVDS-1790, V-12 Diesel with 900 horsepower.
CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS
Anti-skid surface detailing
To simulate this surface I used white glue with a few drops of dish washing soap, just to break the surface tension, and very fine sand, the type used on foundations. I started spreading the white glue with a flat brush on small areas, then spreading the sand, throw a heavy amount of it to help fix. Wait at least 1 minute to dry, then remove the excess. Repeat it until you complete the entire model. Speaking this way can sounds a little complicated, but this is very easy and simple to be made instead. Just pay attention to not put glue over details, but if it occurs don't panic, just wipe it off with a toothpick after you have put on the sand.
Detailing the Tow Cables
As usual I cut off the cables supplied with the kit and use only the ends after an appropriate finish, following cut a length of thread on desired thickness, put some white glue on it with a brush and let it dry, after dried cut it on size you want it and fix the point to the ends with super glue. It's done! Just paint it and weather as you like.