CD lets you stock your diorama shelves with books from the “Books” - CD6105 kit. This kit is top to bottom CD. It comes in a plastic blister pack about 2.5”x2”x1.5”. The box art is fantastically done by Bob Letterman. It is very easy to see the detail on the box art and it will act as inspiration and a painting guide for you.
Inside the blister pack you’ll find a typical zip lock bag containing the parts. The parts are small and well contained in the zip lock bag. The bag will shake around in the blister pack. Don’t let that worry you, in this case the parts are tightly packed and the shape of the pieces does not worry me. It should not break during shipping.
What you get in the box
- 2 x 11 book row, evenly sized books – 24mm x 10mm x 6mm
- 2 x 9 book row, unevenly sized books - 24mm x 10mm x 6mm (tallest book dimension)
- 2 x 7 book row, fairly evenly sized books – 24mm x 9mm x 6mm
- 2 x individual book partially opened in a “V” shape – 4mm x 7mm x 6mm
- 2 x individual book fully opened book laying flat opened to the middle of the pages – 10mm x 6mm x 2mm
- 2 x individual book with only the cover opened – 12mm x 9mm x 3mm
- 2 x individual book opened to the middle with rounded pages and no binding – 6mm x 6mm x 2mm
- 2 x individual book opened to ‘chapter two’ with rounded pages – 10mm x 6mm x 3mm
- 2 x double books on a resin block, closed books, as if individually shelved or stacked on a table – small = 3mm x 3mm x 6mm, large = 4mm x 6mm x 10mm
Sliding these parts out onto the workbench reveals nothing but potential. There are the usual resin blocks. These are nothing out of the ordinary. The uniform shape and flat surfaces of these parts will make it easy to remove with a razor saw. A few connection points are at spots that will be seen in your diorama so you should take care with these. Others are at the edge of the books at a delicate location. Again, with a bit of care this should be fine.
The molding on the books is nice. There are nice details on the rows of books, nice bindings, nice recess where the pages are a bit smaller than the cover. The open books have nicely molded pages with realistic bends and folds in the open pages.
This kit is 100% Custom Dioramics. Good quality, molding, good quantity of parts, great niche. You won’t be disappointed paying for this product. You can scratch build books out of paper or small blocks of styrene. However, if you put a value on your time you will save money by using these products. You’ll spend time and effort and raw material scratching. Ultimately you decide on what to buy with your hard earned money. What I will offer with this review is that you will not be disappointed with this kit if you need books.
I'd like to thank Custom Dioramics for supplying this kit for review