Model Aircraft is a sister magazine of Scale Aviation Modeller International and is published by SAM Publications as well. While the latter is more focused on aircraft modelling, Model Aircraft's articles have a stronger historical background to them. It is nevertheless aimed at modellers since most of the content is accompanied by builds of plastic model kits for illustration purposes. As such it is the perfect counterpart to SAMI, having less news and reviews pages but going more deeply into the historical and technical aspect of aviation. Model Aircraft was launched in November 2001 and went through different changes in the past years (see here
) and seems to have found the right balance in it's content now. It is perfectly suited for readers wanting to know a little bit more about the models they build.
Model Aircraft April 2011
Here is a list of the aircraft types featured in this issue of Model Aircraft. This way it will be easy for you to spot something of interest to you:
BAe Harrier GR 7/9
- 3 pages article about the retirement of the Harrier from the RAF.
- 2 pages build of the 1:48 scale Harrier GR 9 Revell kit with additional PE parts from Eduard.
- 2 pages review build article of the 1:72 scale Record Models resin kit.
Bristol Type 146
- 1 page review build article of the 1:72 scale Magna Models resin kit.
Douglas A-4 Skyhawk
- 4 pages build article of the 1:48 scale Hobbycraft kit with Aussie decals.
- 6 pages article about the designs of Martin-Baker (MB.1 through MB.7 aircraft and other).
Messerschmitt Bf 110 and Me 410 Big Gun variant
- 6 pages historical article with photos.
- 4 pages build of the 1:72 scale Zvezda kit with Ardpol decals (Polish markings) and Pavla wheels, wheel wells and KM-1 seat.
- 2 pages with 10 profiles of Polish MiGs.
- 4 pages of photos of Polish MiGs.
- 5 pages with 25 profiles of MiG-21s of different variants (F/FL/PM/PFM/MF/bis) and from different origins.
- 5 pages article (part 2) about the Pfalz aircraft (D4/D.I/D.II and D.IIa/D.III(Pfal)/D.III/D.IIIa).
- 2 pages centerfold scale plans (1:48).
- 8 pages article about the under surface camouflage of the early Spitfires (1939/1940) illustrated with pictures of 1:72 scale models (13 different machines).
- IPMS (UK) Column.
- Centennial of the U.S. Navy (4 pages).
Please remember, when contacting retailers or manufacturers, to mention that you saw their products highlighted here - on AeroScale