login   |    register

135
Fw 190 A-3



The procurement of the Fw-190 A3s is the last link of a chain of Turco-German relations covering cooperation in aviation which started even before the WWI by the arrival of German planes and aviators at the Ottoman Empire. It was followed by the foundation of TOMTAS with the cooperation of Junkers in Kayseri which produced the Junkers A20s. In accordance with the agreements that were signed in the following years various German planes were procured and they served within the Turkish Armed Forces (Rohrbach, Gotha and the earlier Focke Wulf models may be named). Another commercial agreement in between the two governments was signed in 1941 after the great efforts of the German ambassador, former premier, Franz von Pappen. Turkey was to supply iron and chromium ores which were very strategic material for Germany and in return Turkey was to receive Fw-190 A-3s. 72 pieces arrived in Turkey and the first flight was made on July, 10th 1943. The planes were deployed at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th Cos of the 5th Air Regiment. They were very much liked by the pilots and the crew and they remained in service until the end of 1947.

Text from the Turkish Aviation site www.tayyareci.com
  • 0916
  • 0154
  • 0621
  • 0719
  • 0820
  • 0525
  • 0234
  • 0328
  • 0433

About the Author

About Ayhan TOPLU (atoplu)
FROM: ANKARA, TURKEY / TüRKçE

Plasticbattle.com


Comments

Hi Ayhan Very impressive! A really nice build - and it's great to see the Butcher Bird in Turkish colours. All the best Rowan
JAN 12, 2007 - 07:06 PM