login   |    register
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava IV Detail Questions
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Joined: February 12, 2012
KitMaker: 930 posts
Armorama: 883 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Curt, I can almost smell the dust! What color did you use?



Thank you, Israel, coming from you thatís quite a compliment!

The paint is one of the common Tamiya mixes discussed often for IDF colors. If I recall correctly, itís 2:1 Medium Gray to Khaki, but Iíll verify that tonight, as well as the paint numbers.
GTDeath13
#481
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Joined: June 12, 2015
KitMaker: 799 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:26 PM UTC
Another inspiring model for the IDF fans!!! Well done Curt.


Israel thanks for the clarification on the system terminology.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Joined: February 12, 2012
KitMaker: 930 posts
Armorama: 883 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another inspiring model for the IDF fans!!! Well done Curt.



Nikos, very kind of you...many thanks!!
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
Joined: April 09, 2015
KitMaker: 940 posts
Armorama: 885 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 11:05 PM UTC
Very nicely done. Great paint and weathering and kudos on the ball and chain armor.
DonnyT
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Joined: November 22, 2006
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text


Quoted Text

Curt, very good job on your MK 4 LIC.
The cable guide for the 50 Cal looks good too, what you use to replicate it?



Thanks, Donny. Actually, the cable conduit was a little more involved than it needed to be. I started with a 0.75mm plastic rod, cut to length. Then, I cut a few pieces of scrap photo etch brass, and bent the pieces about 20 degrees. These pieces I glued to the bottom of the plastic rod, to replicate the 'feet' that you see toward the front of the cable conduit. Then, because the 'back' side of the conduit in smooth (i.e. doesn't have those 'feet'), I filled in the back from the top of the plastic rod with thinly rolled epoxy, then used super glue to make the back side (relatively) smooth. Then I painted. I thought at first that it was supposed to be hull color, but then I noticed in the pictures I got of that area that the conduit appears to be a dull steel color, obviously not painted on the real thing. I tried to duplicate that as best I could.

I know there HAS to be a better/easier way (well, there is, the photo etch part that I ruined), but this sort of worked.



Wow Curt, kudos on your the effort put in on the cable conduit, not a walk in the park indeed.
I will try to replicate mine using cut up plastic sheet.

Once again good job!