login   |    register
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Hosted by Todd Michalak
IJN Kongo, 1941, 1/1800
joe100
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Joined: May 16, 2004
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 09:51 PM UTC
Greetings!

Recently I decided I wanted to build IJN Kongo in a smaller scale than usual, 1/1800. Mostly just for fun to see how detailed I could go. I started with tinythingamajigs gorgeous 3d printed Kongo; in the high def black. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. It does hog a bit but I used a piece of stainless steel bar stock, wired it down flush, and heated it with steam, then cooled it quickly. Flattened right out. The new high-def plastics Shapeways is using will hog on longer ships but I knew this going into it, the hassle is well worth the detail.

I wanted to preserve as much of the artists detail as possible. It's a fantastically made thing and I didn't want to go chopping it up. Removing only the thickest and most out of scale details, I left most of the structure intact. Cutting off major sections of the ship would have meant altering so much that I should have just scratch built the whole thing. That really went against what I was trying to do.

I scratch built the lower hull using styrene and brass. Screws and rudders are there, bilge keels, armor belt.

Railings are photo etched brass and I added as much as possible. Awning supports are photo etched stainless steel and the awning wire and all rigging is Modelkasten tungsten wire. The rest of the details are photoetched odds and ends. The Mitsubishi f1m is photo etched stainless steel from Steel Golem. These photo etched aircraft are impossible to find, so once I found a fret, I guard it like it was made of gold.

Once it was all done, I primed and airbrushed. Some weathering and a wash or two and here she is:






































Bigred69
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
Joined: December 27, 2015
KitMaker: 267 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hello Joe, what a incredible build, your level of detail on this model is unbelievable. Keep up the good work.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
Joined: May 03, 2006
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:32 AM UTC
Wow, Joe...

This build is astonishing... absolutely astonishing.

Fantastic piece of work!

joe100
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Joined: May 16, 2004
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 09:38 AM UTC
Thanks! I had a blast doing it.
joe100
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Joined: May 16, 2004
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 11:47 AM UTC
Added a few tiny details, mostly stuff I'd just been too busy to do. The bow crysanthymum, rudder position signals on the mainmast, and the aft position lights on the starboard side. Also the ship's name plate is also done.






That about wraps it all up. Nothing left to do on this one.
TRM5150
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
Joined: January 03, 2010
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 05:05 PM UTC
Fantastic work Joe! Especially at this scale! Thanks for sharing!
joe100
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Joined: May 16, 2004
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:22 PM UTC
Thanks Todd!
joe100
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Joined: May 16, 2004
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 09:34 PM UTC
The model overall is 120mm (4.75in) long. The red linen name plate is 30mm (1.25in) for scale.