A lot of sanding is needed and more detailing, but I think I will paint it tonight before continuing. This was before major changes were added and parts reshaped:
This is the bolt that will connect the leading axle to the first powered axle. It is a 2mm rod, on top of which is a .8mm thick disc (2.5mm diameter) which I cut into a hexagon and on top of it is a tiny disc of 1.5mm in diameter. The side I am holding will be within a boxed casing attached to the first powered axle (from the front).
The next step was an annoying part as much plastic had to be cut away at the bottom (second picture) then some plastic card had to be added to the top and then the sides had to be reshaped to come up for the curvature (the centre of the cross section was thinner than the outside - see my nasty drawings on the second picture). Also a few cuts were needed to cut away the recess where the rims of the vertical support join the horizontal support beams. (the four circles show this: on the bottom is the stock kit, on top is the modified version.)
Maybe this drawing helps to show what I am trying to explain... This also shows what had to be cut away at the bottom (blue markings). The kit part has the bottom enclosed, however, it is open with the real engine:
Compare the steering rack and additions:
Notice however that both shown driving racks are of different shapes and both are no original ones and do differ slightly! But they do help depict the general shape and problems.
The advanced and further modified steering rack laying on the boiler support.
In the meantime, I added the screw mechanism for the leaf spring pre-tension torsion bars.
The top has been modified towards the front with the guiding support T-section in the front.
Finally with wheels in place to have an alignment check. The top of the steering rack needs to be just below the second swing within the frame and slightly above the very bottom of the frame. If this is misaligned, the leading wheels will hang loose in the air and as such this is a difficult part as all parts need to be assembled and painted and then put together, and only then will I know if it worked (as all will be moving parts and I will not glue them)
If I screw it up, I will glue it down in the worst case^^
Have a great evening, hope you like it and I am not boring anyone.