Well, I think my illness has passed, and I was able to do some more work on Victory. So in my last post, I was talking about stringing the main topgallant lifts:
So that was all fine and good, and for once, Heller's instructions and Longridge's book matched in regards to where these lines get belayed - to the fife rail that is in-line with the main mast. However, the belaying pins on these rails are very small, and there is hardly any room to try and slip the thread onto and around the bottom pin, so that you can finish the knot with a figure 8. So initially, I spend probably 40 minutes trying to get the tread to slip around the bottom part of the pin, and finally gave up. Taking some time to think it over, I had the idea of using my dental scrapers to try and push the thread under the pin, and then grab it with some tweezers and pull the thread tight. Well, after many attempts at that, I still couldn't get the thread to stay put so I could secure it. Then, I had the fantastic idea of drilling a hole into the fife rail, adjacent to the belaying pin, and then I'd push the thread down through the top of the fife rail, and then around the belaying pin. And - surprise!! - it worked. I figured as long as I was drilling holes, I'd go ahead and drill a hole around the other belying pins on that fife rail (no sense in trying to drill the rest of the holes when I have a line or two already secured). I did the same on the starboard fife rail, figuring I was in "the groove" for drilling holes.
So here's the port side fife rail, with the topgallant lift thread threaded into the hole:
And here's a view from above of the same fife rail, with all the holes drilled (it's a bit out of focus):
So after taking these pictures, I installed the topgallant tye line (A109), which is a single thread attached to the topgallant yard, through a hole in the mast, then down to one of the middle belaying pins on the fife rail at the base of the mainmast (Haven't secured it to the fife rail yet, as I wanted the glue on the knot around the yardarm to dry). I also finished putting on the cringles and eyes on the topgallant sail, and using the vacuum formed sails, smeared it with a watered down solution of white glue and water, to give it some shape.
So, not really a whole lot done, but a lot got done! Thanks for looking, and a shout out to all the other modellers on here displaying their fantastic work!
Until next time,