Have you ever completed a figure, vehicle or diorama depicting an action of a particular SS division and wanted to add just that little something extra to make your base stand out from the rest? How about wanting to add the divisional insignia to your base to clearly define your model’s represented unit? Generally speaking the only quick option has been to print it out and paste it to the base. And we all know how inks fade and paper yellows over time.
The Regimental S-4 has just the solution for you then. The Regimental S-4, a model figure company owned and operated by sculptor Nick Majerus, although specialising in mostly US subjects have a very unique line of products entitled “Badges”. And they are exactly that: badges. Cast in resin the series currently comprises of “U.S. Army Unit Insignia”, “German SS Unit Insignia”, “German Luftwaffe Insignia”, “U.S. Military Awards” and “WWII Desert War Unit Insignia”.
The subject of this review is the nineteen “German SS Unit Insignia” currently available, items GSS-001 through GSS-019.
The current range of German SS Unit Insignia comprises of nineteen (19) items, namely one badge depicting SS Runes and eighteen (18) SS divisional insignia. Of the 38 Waffen-SS divisions (excluding SS Cossack Cavalry Divisions, Waffen SS Foreign Legions, and SS Parachute Battalions), the divisions currently represented are arguably the more popular Waffen-SS divisions amongst modellers.
Below follows a list of the items, with each items name followed by the full name of the SS division:
- GSS-001 1st SS Panzer Div. Leibstandarte: 1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler
- GSS-002 2nd SS Panzer Div. Das Reich: 2nd SS Division Das Reich (previously SS VerfügungstruppeDivision: later SS Panzergrenadier Division Das Reich)
- GSS-003 3rd SS Panzer Div. Totenkopf: 3rd SS Division Totenkopf (later SS Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf, 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf)
- GSS-004 4th SS Pz Gren Div. Polizei Division: 4th SS Polizei Division
- GSS-005 5th SS Panzer Div. Wiking: 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking (previously SS Panzergrenadier Division Wiking)
- GSS-006 6th SS Mountain Div. Nord: 6th SS Mountain Division Nord
- GSS-007 7th SS Vol. Mnt. Div. Prinz Eugen: 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen
- GSS-008 12th SS Panzer Div. Hitlerjugend: 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend
- GSS-009 13th SS Mtn. Div. Handschar: 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar (1st Croatian)
- GSS-010 18th SS Vol. Grenadier Div. Horst Wessel: 18th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Horst Wessel
- GSS-011 23rd SS Vol. Pz. Grenadier Div Nederland: 23rd SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nederland (1st Dutch), formed after the dissolution of the 23rd Kama division.
- GSS-012 27th SS Vol. Grenadier Div. Flemish No. 1: 27th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Langemarck (1st Flemish)
- GSS-013 SS Runes: Standard SS Runes
- GSS-014 VIII SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer: 8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer
- GSS-015 IX SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen: 9th SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen
- GSS-016 X SS Panzer Division Frundsberg: 10th SS Panzer Division Frundsberg
- GSS-017 XXII SS Frw Kav Division Maria Theresa: 22nd SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Maria Theresia
- GSS-018 XXVII SS Vol Pz Gren Division Wallonie: 28th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Wallonien
- GSS-019 XXXIV SS Gren Division Landstorm Nederland: 34th SS Volunteer Grenadier Division Landstorm Nederland
Comparing the badges to contemporary sources shows that they are accurate renditions of the divisional insignia of the indicated Waffen-SS divisions.
Each badge is cast in resin and measures approximately 23.5mm x 28.5mm in size and is about 2.5mm thick. The manufacturer states that the badges are approximately 7/8” x 1 1/8” (roughly 22mm x 28.5mm) in size. Considering that at the time of measuring the badges no cleanup had been done, these measurements are in agreement with those provided.
The casting is generally speaking excellent. With only minor blemishes here and there, there is not much cleaning required. All that will be needed before mounting these attractive little badges to your base will be a quite clean and a lick of paint.
For only 1.00 USD each these badges, with virtually no cleaning required and just a dash of paint, will certainly give your model base a striking and unique look.