Ammo of Mig Jimenez is the latest incarnation of modeling products from Miguel ”Mig” Jimenez, including paints, weathering effects and supplies. This is a mini set of Russian WW II acrylic colours in 17 ml eye dropper bottles suitable for brush painting and airbrushing. This quick look will deal with the brush painting side of the equation. Included in the set are the 3 basic colours needed for early camouflaged Russian WW II vehicles: 4BO green, 6K tan and 7K brown.
The paints come in familiar 17 ml bottles and as a bit of a surprise, they have a small pellet of some sort in them to help mix the paint. This is a mixed blessing. The pellet does help mix the paint, but it sometime blocks paint flowing out. You end up shaking the bottle as you would a salt shaker rather than gently squeezing making it difficult at times to get a precise amount out. The paint has no discernible odour, is fairly thin and brushes well enough. How well? Let's have a look, shall we?
I decided to test two ways: un-primed styrene sheet and a primed piece to test coverage and adhesion. The primed piece received grey and black primer from two other manufacturers. In both instances, I used the paint directly from the bottle.
First off, the styrene. I quickly masked out three rectangles with Revell's tape and simply used a post it note for each coat after allowing to dry for roughly five minutes, so please excuse the slight bleeding. Unsurprisingly, it took several coats (four as it turns out) to get good coverage. The paint had a tendency to bead a little bit at first, par for the course on un-primed plastic, and lessened as the coats went on. The paint also dried with a slightly satin finish. After letting them dry for a couple of hours, I burnished down some Revell tape to see what lifted off, happily, nothing.
The primed piece was thoroughly covered in 4BO first (three coats) and the tan and brown added after it had dried (three coats each) in a fictitious pattern. I did apply the paint a little heavier than on the styrene with no apparent brush marks so it does seem to self level somewhat. The green went down equally well over both primers, although beading was again present on the first coat. The grey and black undercoats did not seem to come through at all. The tan and brown also had some beading on the first coats. What was a slightly satin finish had now become semi-gloss and was making life difficult in trying to get a good picture. I decided to flat coat so that the colours could be better seen.
Speaking of colours, I'll leave the accuracy question to others as I am no expert. They do feel right going by what I could glean from the net. Bear in mind that I was taking pictures under a fluorescent bulb and had to colour correct somewhat and you are looking at them on a monitor that will probably be calibrated differently than mine. Add weathering and scale lighting to the mix and you have a nice can of worms, which is why I don't really get too concerned with what is accurate and what isn't, close enough works for me.
Highs: Brushes reasonably well, no odour, cleans up with water. Covers well and seems fairly durable.Lows: Some beading, this might be eliminated with flow enhancer. Mixing pellet might interfere with paint flow out of the bottle.Verdict: If you are looking for a set of early Russian vehicle colours, you might want to give this set a try. Obviously I can't comment on how well it airbrushes, but I suspect that it will do so reasonably well.
Our Thanks to Ammo of Mig Jimenez! This item was provided by them for the purpose of having it reviewed on this KitMaker Network site. If you would like your kit, book, or product reviewed, please contact us.
About Kimmo Happonen (Thudius) FROM: UUSIMAA, FINLAND
I got my first kit when I was about 7 or 8 and was immediately hooked. Magazines such as Fine Scale Modeler helped to push me to go beyond what kits had to offer before photo etch and resin were commonplace. I took a break of about 8 years and now I'm back at it making up for lost time. When I'm not...